Air Source Heat Pump Installation and Maintenance
RNB Ltd. are a certified air source heat pump installation company based in Ramsgate, Kent. We offer complete design and installation services across Kent, the South East of England and London.
An Air Source Heat Pump (ASHP) is an alternative to using a gas or boiler to heat your home and produce hot water. The ASHP works on a refrigeration cycle to extract heat from the outdoor air and heat water which is circulated to the radiators in the house. This hot water is also used to heat the hot water cylinder.
- A typical ASHP has a coefficient of performance (COP) of about 2.5-3.0. This means that for every 1 kW of electricity used to run the ASHP, you get 2.5-3.0kW of heat energy out.
- A typical 4-5 bed house uses between 12,000 to 17,000 kWh/y of thermal energy to provide the heating and hot water.
- Using an ASHP means paying for only 4000 kWh/y (this can be further off-set if the electricity is produced with PV).
As ASHP’s produce hot water at lower temperatures then conventional boilers (45°C as opposed to 80°C), when retrofitting ASHP’s consideration needs to be given to replacing existing radiators & hot water cylinders in order that room temperatures are achieved (radiators will need to be larger).
Most residential ASHP’s are low noise units, typically producing around 40-45db which is the noise level experiences in a typical office environment.
The benefits of having an ASHP installed at your property are as follows:
- They are energy efficient and low carbon – air source heat pumps generate less CO2 than many conventional heating systems.
- They can be used to provide all heating and hot water for your property.
- They have a simple installation process which does not usually need planning permission to proceed and only minimal annual maintenance.
- They qualify for the new government BUS (Boiler Upgrade Scheme), where you could receive a grant of up to £5000 towards the total cost of your ASHP Installation.
Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS)
Opening for applications in late May 2022 the government are offering grants to encourage property owners to install low carbon heating systems such as heat pumps through the Boiler Upgrade Scheme. These grants will help property owners overcome part of the upfront cost of low carbon heating technologies. You can get £5,000 off of the cost and installation of an air source heat pump – just contact our Ramsgate based installation team.
- Live in England and Wales
- Own your own property
- The property will need to have an installation capacity up to 45kWh (this covers most homes)
- The property will need to have a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) with no outstanding recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation.
- New build properties will not normally be eligible. The only exception is if you’re building your own home.
- As your installer, we will advise you whether a low carbon heating system is suitable for your property.