Solar Panel Installations and Maintenance
Solar panels work by absorbing sunlight with photovoltaic (PV) cells, which will be placed on the roof of your property. The panels convert sunlight into electricity of use in the house. Any excess electricity will be exported to the ‘Grid’ for which a Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) will be available to you.
The benefits of having solar panels installed on your property are as follows:
- Renewable Energy Source: Solar Energy is accessible for as long as we have the sun, it’s truly a renewable energy source – doesn’t produce gases, pollute water or create noise.
- Reduces Electricity Bills: Since you’ll be generating some of your own energy needs from solar panels, your total electricity bills will drop. You can also make money by exporting back to the grid using the SEG or store the unused electricity in battery storage, to use when no solar is being produce – for example in the evenings.
- Low Maintenance: Solar Panels don’t require much maintenance – just cleaning once a year. Warranties are usually for 20-25 years and the inverter warranty for 10 years.
- Off-grid power: If you live in an area without grid connection, the easiest way to power your home is through solar panels. It is cheaper to have a solar PV system set up on your home rather than waiting for utility companies to connect your home, which can be a lengthy complicated process.
- A lot less pollution: Fossil fuels are renowned for polluting the environment. That becomes less of an issue when you install a solar system on your property.
Solar PV Battery Storage
As an addition to PV panels, the system can be augmented by the use of battery storage. PV panels only produce electricity during the daytime, in hours of darkness they do not produce electricity.
Typically during the day the electricity demand of a house is low and the PV panels produce an excess of electricity. This excess electricity can be used to charge a battery store. During the evening, when the houses electricity demand is high and the PV panels are not producing electricity, the electricity stored in the batteries will be used. If electricity demand exceeds battery capacity then the shortfall will be drawn from the grid and billed in the normal way.
EV Car Charger
There are many benefits that come to having an EV Charger installed in your home if you are planning to have an EV Car Charger in the future. They are far more convenient to use in comparison to public use chargers and also very cost effective. Charging your electric car from home is far cheaper than charging publicly especially when you have Solar PV Installed as there are specific tariffs that also you to charge your car at night at a super off-peak tariff of 7.5p/kWh. The cost of the average EV Car Charger installation is between £1100-£1500 depending on the specified equipment and the size/speed of the EV Car Charger required.